Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Live from Nairobi

Nairobi, Kenya

Jambo. At least that's what they say to the tourists.

Just a quick note to say hello, I am alive, and things are good here. I arrived Monday morning at 6 am, was at my accomodations by 7 am, and in my room by 8 am, then spent the rest of the day unpacking, resting, and trying to wrap my head around why I am here, not really even sure where I was. The welcome was not very strong initially, so I was worried. By the end of the day I knew my bed was comfortable enough, the plumbing worked, the food was edible, and we were right off Ngong Rd., but little else.

Today, by lunchtime (7 hrs ahead of the east coast), things are much better. I have been warmly greeted by the school, met with administrators from Christian Life Community Kenya, and started to figure how I can help. Kibera is just as it had been described- undescribable. The school is based on the edge of the slum, so it is not hard to get there, but most of the classrooms are in another building, a two story shack with 6 classrooms with natual light. Getting there requires navigating a warren of alleys, shacks, and open sewers up a rocky hill, and I am almost sure to get lost the first time I try it alone.

I will write more and try to post it later in the week. Because of the limits of internet access here, I think the rest of the Ireland trip may have to wait, or at least be seriously condensed. Things are looking up though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Johnny - keep em coming when you have the time. Sounds like Ireland was an absolute blast. Hope to hear more from Kenya soon.


- Brad G.